Ingleside is a town in Nueces and San Patricio counties in the U.S. state of Texas. The population was 9,387 at the 2010 census.Ingleside is also home to Naval Station Ingleside. On August 24, 2005, the BRAC Committee voted to close the base. In 2010, the main base property was turned over to the Port of Corpus Christi.
Ingleside’s earliest community began in 1854 when George C. Hatch purchased land on both sides of the bayou. He later acquired over 3,800 acres of land which he sold to Walter Ingalls and others. They built homes on the bayou and at Ingleside Cove.
In 1855, George and Marcellus Turner settled in the area. Marcellus obtained a grant for the first post office in 1857. Ingleside also soon established a general store and a boarding school. During this time Ingleside’s primary industries were farming and ranching.
In 1909 developers Burton and Danforth laid out the present Ingleside town site. In 1913 the Ingleside Common School District was formed, with 80 students. Growth in the area was stagnant after a hurricane destroyed many buildings in the town in 1916. Between 1910 and 1920, grape production was a booming industry.
In 1927, Humble Oil built a tank farm at Port Ingleside and announced plans for a refinery in Ingleside. Construction boomed with the building of a housing complex, complete with paved streets and their own sewer for Humble employees. Ingleside experienced a period of great growth and prosperity. The population quickly grew to approximately 1,000 people. During this period two local newspapers began publication. Unfortunately, Ingleside’s prosperity was shorted lived. In 1944 a labor dispute resulted in Humble closing the plant and put it up for sale. The Brauer Corporation opened an aluminum fabrication plant in 1948, and Reynolds Metal followed in 1950, opening a plant only five miles away. DuPont followed and a local plant was built in 1973. Ingleside developed primarily as a residential area and was officially incorporated in 1951.
In 1954, the Corps of Engineers cut a channel through Ingleside Point, thus demarking an area known as Ingleside-on-the-Bay, where the United States Navy intended to open its Homeport in 1995.
The population of Ingleside grew steadily after 1972 and in 2000 Ingleside had a population of 9,388, including 3,200 active duty naval personnel.
Cove Park – This park is located on Hwy. 1069 going toward the bay and has a public boat ramp.
Faith Park – Near the Jr. High and High School. The Garden Center meeting room and kitchen is available for reservation by calling City Hall.
Ingleside Swimming Pool – Located on Mustang Dr., pool hours are from 12:00 pm to 7:30 pm Tuesday thru Saturday and Sundays from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm. The park is closed on Mondays.
Ingleside On The Bay – A public boat ramp is included in the park which is located on Ebony and Woodhaven.
Live Oak Park – This park has a pond and disc golf, picnic area, barbecue pits, swings and slides.
N.O. Park – This complex offers a covered 10 x 20 picnic shelter, barbecue pits, horseshoe pits, pavilion with game tables, concession and restrooms skate park, 7 soccer fields, butterfly garden, birding deck, hike/bike/fitness trail, tot-lot playscale and multi-purpose lighted field.
Oak Park – Located on 8th St. is a semi-residential park. Here you will find playground, tables and benches within the park.
Whitney Lake – This 50 plus acre project will include several bird watching areas, extended docks over marsh areas, observation platforms and many other amenities. It also provide wintering and migratory habitat for waterfowl, shorebirds, wading birds, and other species.